Sunday, August 2, 2009

Lebowski Fest Photo Debrief: To be or not to be?

Since July 20 I have been clicking back to LEBLOGSKI to see the steady flow of pictures and general what-have-you from the West Coast leg of the Speed of Sound tour. Before I get into the heart of the topic I want to chronicle, achiever photo posturing, I just want to mention how much I appreciated the steady and constant updates. People were really putting their mobile uploading prowess to work on the Left Coast (not some sort of Eastern thing?).

I must have looked at close to 300 unique pictures over the last month. There is an important question that pops into a lot of minds shortly before their picture is taken at a Lebowski Fest – especially if in a specific costume: Do I smile or should I remain in character?

This question is especially challenging for all the Walters of Lebowski Fests.
Although he may be calmer than you are, we don’t see Walter smile much.
(With the exception of his sarcastic smile when he states that he wouldn’t dream of taking bullshit money)

Time for a quick couple examples:


It has to be a very difficult decision for these Achievers.
People want to take a picture of these great Walters.
If you are one of these about-t0-be-photographed Walters - do you smile as you would for nearly every other photo op? Smile to convey the amount of fun you are currently experiencing at a Lebowski Fest?

...Or do you remain locked in character?... Thinking that is exactly what your fellow Achiever wants to capture?


Since I wasn't at any of the West Coast locations, it is impossible for me to know which one the more recent Walters could have been as intimidatingly accurate as the above "Best Walter" from the 8th Annual in Louisville.

There were more than a few that obviously involved method acting to their costume:


(I regret not starting a conversation with the above stranger... To make him less of one to me... Even with a candid photo like this he was still in character - just soaking it in)


(Very self explanatory... I heard stories of a few Achievers freakin' out thinking he was a legit authoritative presence.... Little did they know he in many ways is)

On the other side of the coin, here's one of my more favorite examples of someone abandoning the spirit of their costume to illustrate the bliss of Lebowski Fest:



This was a quick, "Hey can I take your picture!?" from me as I walked past him in the bowling alley. It's important to note this happens a lot: complete strangers stopping costumed others in their tracks asking for a quick picture. Amazingly, everyone almost always complies. And I think I took the above picture too quick for him to get a "I f*ck you in the ass!" face, but thankfully not too quick so he didn't draw his sword.

But there are plenty of pictures of Nihilists to go around:

(His girlfriend has every right to look upset, she thought she would get a million dollars)

Please forward your pictures to Lebowskifest.com, all of us not able to make it out there appreciate attending vicariously through the pictures.[TQ]

No comments:

Post a Comment